Cupsuptic Flotilla Report with 2016 Dates

 Our 10 days at the Cupsuptic Campground.  

   We began with a quick trip from the boat access to bring the kayaks around a couple miles back to the campground on Saturday morning. As we set up the boats the clouds  started to build from the north. No Problem it was early...

 We spent the first hour taking advantage of the cloud cover to shoot some video on how to paddle the Greenlands and started sailing back. All went well till  small clouds started to appear from behind the mountains.

 So of course we got caught out in a garden variety thunderstorm. We did manage to grab a couple gusts in the Greenland 2 Schooner just before it hit. Being pushed down the lake at 12+mph for a short time was so worth it. 

 Fortunately Mike and Lynn aimed for a small island so we could all get in the lee just as the winds hit 25+. We had shelter and a chance to admire the thunder and lighting for a few minutes til the sun popped back out with just enough wind left to get us to camp.

    Each day we met and decided what the weather and wind would let us do.  One successful venture was a run from the CG  to the Stephen's Preserve 10 miles away. The trip went much more smoothly with 5-6 mph tailwinds &  a take out after lunch which included  a chance meeting with my 9th grade Humanities teacher and his family on their way to Student's Island campsite

   The next day we put in at Mooselookmeguntic Lake. We circumnavigated the 600 acre Toothacher island which has a few camps with many places to stop and swim. There is a summer community at one end where I have been stopping at for 30 years to say hello to a couple  who raised a family year round there back in the 90's.


   The Cupsuptic Campground has about 70 sites with tenting and RV hookups with a 100+yds of sand beach. The bay we are in has numerous destinations for sailing and a family of Loons. We will be back! Next year looks like Aug 1st-10th 2016. Please join us!

  We just made a video of our trip and added some pointers on sailing a BSD kit